Located along the Bay Ridge Channel, in the Sunset Park industrial district of Brooklyn, in the Port of New York and New Jersey, the South Brooklyn Marine Terminal (SBMT) offers unparalleled access to the nation’s largest and most affluent consumer marketplace. Following an extensive, decade-long renovation, the SBMT has become one of America’s most logistically attractive import/export ports. The well-positioned SBMT, with its deep-water ocean access, dramatically cuts import and export cycle times. This 88-acre site is the nearest New York auto port to the open ocean. The use of SBMT allows barges carrying ship containers to be ferried from New Jersey to Brooklyn rather than being driven through bridges and tunnels.
- Tug & Barge (Handles general cargo, special cargo, automobiles and other vehicles, break-bulk, and other commodities.)
The following uses will be permitted:
- Dry bulk and break bulk stevedoring.
- Vehicle and wheeled equipment import/export utilizing maritime transport.
- “Special project cargo,” that is, the waterborne movement of oversize or heavy cargo, such as turbines, heavy construction components, and special equipment.
- Waterborne freight warehousing and distribution.
- Maritime freight transload to and from truck and rail.
- Maritime construction.
- Maritime support services such as tug and ship repair companies.
- Lay-berthing and dockside repair of industrial and commercial vessels; and other industrial maritime dependent uses that can take advantage of the site’s waterside location.
The following uses will not be permitted:
- Passenger embark or debarkation via vessel of any kind.
- Any ferries, excursion boats, tour boats, historical vessels, or personal vessels, except for layberthing or repair.
- Parking, except as employee, customer, or vendor parking ancillary to a Permittee’s primary maritime use.
- Any transfer, storage, or movement of hazardous, dangerous, or noxious materials, including Municipal Solid Waste.
- Filming or photoshoots.
- Events of any kind.
- Coordinates: 40.660017, -74.016250